Saturday, April 26, 2014

Reading my way to Ireland, part 3: a touch of history

On I go, finding my way somewhere through the pages of others.

I'm dipping back a bit, not too far, looking for the sort of easy-listening historical perspective that you might get from, say, James Michener, though I don't think Michener ever wrote of Ireland.

You know, the sort of thing that makes you feel like you know something, without making you have to work too hard.

Hey, at least I'm being honest.

So I picked three others:

  • Angela's Ashes: A Memoir
    McCourt had an absolutely miserable childhood, and given that he grew up during the Great Depression and World War II, he might have had a miserable childhood wherever he was.

    But he was of Irish descent, and found himself in Ireland, and wrote an absolutely unforgettable book.

  • Ireland: A Novel
    It's enjoyable and fast moving, and certainly the sort of book I was looking for.
  • Trinity
    Uris was already world-famous by the time he wrote Trinity, and had mastered his particular style, but that doesn't make it any less entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment