Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The recent events at U C Davis and U C Berkeley

I mostly avoid political topics on my blog, but the current events on the University of California campuses are very important and need more attention. Here is a superb essay by Professor Bob Ostertag of U.C. Davis about the events of the last week, and a follow-up essay discussing ongoing events.

Meanwhile, it's interesting that some of the most compelling and insightful commentary is being published outside the U.S., for example this column and this column in the Guardian.

I don't know what the answers are. But I do know that the debate is important, and I salute the Davis and Berkeley communities for not backing down from the questions, and for opening their minds to the need to hold that debate, now. Our universities, and our children, are our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment